Quinoa is an ancient grain with a little-known secret. It’s one of the only plantsthat contain all nine essential amino acids you need to get as part of your dietto help produce protein. Without these essential amino acids, your body’s proteinmanufacturing operation grinds to a halt — along with many other processes thatdepend on new proteins.
What’s more, this grain has many proven health benefits including helping to lowerglycemic index and support for metabolic health. Even better — it’s easy to addto your diet with this quick and tasty quinoa salad.
1 C quinoa
2 C water
1 C halved cherry tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
¼ C cucumber, chopped
3 scallions, finely chopped
¼ C cilantro, chopped
¼ C flat parsley, chopped
¼ C extra-virgin olive oil
2 limes, juiced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
2 to 4 C of mixed greens
- Rinse quinoa.
- Prepare quinoa as directed, bring the quinoa and water to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer until all water is absorbed (approx. 12 minutes).
- Once quinoa has cooled combine with tomatoes, black beans, red pepper, cucumber and scallions.
- Make a simple vinaigrette mixing olive oil, lime juice, cumin and 1 teaspoon cayenne together in a bowl.
- Pour over mixture and fold in cilantro and parsley.
- Combine with mixed greens.
This salad is served best chilled.
Total preparation time: 35 minutes (includes prep, chopping, cookingand mixing)
Add any of the following: chick peas, garlic, red onions, summersquash or diced carrot.
|For more healthy meal ideas, try these 5 recipe favorites for your Instant Pot.|