3 breakfast recipes that are healthy — but not boring!
By Sherri Young, RN, Nurse-Educator
More and more of my friends are avoiding certain foods — like gluten, dairy or soy — to be healthier or because of a food sensitivity. Sometimes it can even be difficult to get together for a meal!
My friends complain about what they’ve given up, and how boring breakfast has become. But there’s no reason to suffer. Try these delicious breakfast and brunch recipes — and share them with your friends!
1. Apple almond cinnamon muffin recipe
Makes 24 mini muffins or 12 large muffins
- 3 cups of almond flour
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 cups grated apples (including their juices)
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your muffin pans generously with coconut oil or ghee.
- Combine dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in one bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (apples, almond extract, maple syrup, and eggs) in a larger bowl.
- Slowly mix dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture.
- Fill your muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes, and then serve.
2. Gluten-free buckwheat pancake recipe
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp potato starch
- 1 cup or more water or coconut, rice or almond milk
- Oil or ghee for cooking
o Fresh, frozen or dried blueberries, added to batter or cooked and spooned on top
o ½ cup almond meal added to the batter for protein. Keep in mind, you may need to add more water with this option.
- Mix pancake ingredients well.
- Spoon on to hot, oiled griddle or skillet.
- If using coconut milk, the cakes can be rather thick. It helps to cook them covered at medium-low heat.
- If you prefer thinner, crispier pancakes, add more water and cook at higher heat.
3. Blueberry chia parfait recipe
- 1 cup almond milk (or try oat, flax seed, coconut or cashew milk instead)
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- Handful of strawberries, banana slices, cherries — or all three!
- 2 Tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla bean powder
- Combine ingredients in a 16 ounce mason jar, saving one handful of berries to be used for topping.
- Gently stir everything together, and seal lid tightly.
- Shake jar until contents are thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate for one hour, or until desired texture is achieved.
- Remove the jar from the refrigerator.
- Stir once more and add your favorite toppings.
Healthful hint: Blueberries, strawberries, bananas and/or cherries with grain-free granola, organic raw honey, and organic coconut flakes make for a delicious parfait topping — enjoy!
Last updated on 05/20/2019