As a culture, we are always looking for the one-size-fits-all miracle diet. But
does such a thing exist? Most likely there is some variation in what women need
to lose weight depending on their blood type and level of activity. There is some
evidence that women with certain blood types do better with more carbohydrates,
while others need more protein. But actually these variations are pretty small.
What we can say with confidence is that the Mediterranean diet is a good model for
all women to strive for. The Mediterranean diet is comprised primarily of vegetables,
fruits, nuts, beans , fish and poultry, with moderate amounts of red meat, red wine
and dairy. There have been countless studies on the health benefits of this diet
as well as its benefits on weight control.
Why does a Mediterranean diet work for so many?
There are several variations on this classic eating approach, but the common denominators
are an emphasis on plant-based foods, omega-3 fatty acids and insulin control. Plant-based
foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and beans come packed with fiber, vitamins,
and complex carbohydrates. All of these ingredients help signal positive messaging
on the cellular level, stave off cravings, and keep insulin (the hormone that helps
our cells utilize sugar and carbohydrates) in control.
Insulin control is crucial for weight management as well as overall health. Insulin
levels can remain high if you are on a high-carb, low-fat, low-fiber diet. And once
insulin remains high for long periods, the chances of your cells becoming insulin
resistant (and the risks for type 2 diabetes) go up. The healthy fats and fibers
abundant in the Mediterranean diet help to slow down the insulin surge and the body’s
quick conversion of sugar to fat.
We also can’t forget about the Mediterranean diet’s focus on omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3s are naturally found in wild salmon, oysters, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and
flaxseed, and they have great power when it comes to reducing inflammation. Omega-3s
are linked with prevention and treatment of several inflammatory-related
conditions, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure,
osteoporosis, and many more. No wonder the Mediterranean diet seems like a miracle!
Road blocks to weight loss — inflammatory foods
Sugar is the number one culprit when it comes to inflammatory foods that undermine
weight loss. Sugar can throw insulin levels out of balance, trick our brains into
thinking we’re hungry when we’re not, cause cravings, and contribute to joint pain,
imbalanced gut flora, headaches, and long-term health problems like heart disease,
type 2 diabetes, and even cancer. If you are trying to lose weight and improve your
health, sugar is the number one ingredient to cut out or limit to special occasions.
Gluten and dairy are two other inflammatory foods that can prevent weight loss and
health. More and more people are noticing digestive and other sensitivities to foods
that contain gluten and dairy. And when your body is managing a food sensitivity,
it perceives the situation as a form of stress, and increases cortisol, and hangs
on to extra weight for dear life. But the flip side is that when we remove the foods
that are inflaming our systems, often the weight falls off and we feel so much better
What makes a good weight loss program?
There is so much to choose from when it comes to diets. How do you know what’s right
for you? As we said, the Mediterranean diet is a good bet for most women. But here
are some guidelines for finding the best plan. A good weight loss program should:
- Generously feed the body all its necessary nutrients with real, whole foods.
- Incorporate healthy meal ideas and recipes that taste good.
- Offer fresh ideas for exercise.
- Address the importance of emotional wellness.
- Provide ideas for restoration (stress-relief, sleep, and fun).
- Offer support for weight loss resistance.
We’ve designed a Weight Loss Resistance Package
that includes all of the above and more. Our Mediterranean-style diet is easy and
family friendly. We also offer herbal metabolism support, a protein snack shake,
and herbal solutions for any systemic imbalances that may be blocking weight loss
in your body. Our exclusive e-Guide includes tips on stress-relief, sleep, and emotional
wellness and our Wellness Coaches and Advisors are right here in Maine to offer
phone support if you get stuck.
Find lasting weight loss
View the changes you make to your diet as lifestyle changes and not temporary restrictions
that you intend to give up as soon as you achieve your weight loss goal, or you
just get tired of trying. We like to tell women to follow the 80/20 approach — strive
for perfection 80% of the time and enjoy falling off your diet the other 20%. Find
foods you love and learn how to adjust and balance your eating accordingly. It is
more about the journey than the destination when it comes to lasting weight loss.
Lose weight and
find balance naturally