$2 secrets for glowing skin – and more
Simple, effective, non-toxic and affordable. What more could you want from a skincare product? How about being able to reach into your kitchen cupboard for the ingredients to make one right now?
Our best secrets for beautiful skin will not cost you and arm and a leg, and they include 3 easy recipes for a rejuvenating face mask, hand scrub and moisturizer.
1. Exfoliating oat mask for glowing skin
Oats are fantastic for your skin because they can:
- Stimulate collagen growth and inhibit free radical formation.
- Moisturize, revitalize and rejuvenate.
- Relieve irritation or redness.
- Repair the epidermal skin barrier.
- Act as a soap-free cleanser.
Your skin cells are constantly shedding to make way for new cells. But as you age, the dead cells don’t shed as often. This makes your skin look dull and be more prone to wrinkles. You can still get down to the newer, younger skin cells by using an exfoliating oat mask 3-5 times a week. With younger skin cells regularly moving to the surface, your skin will be much more likely to glow.
Here’s the recipe:
- Grind one tablespoon of oats to a fine powder with a clean coffee grinder.
- Mix in one tablespoon of yogurt and/or buttermilk (for lactic acid exfoliating benefits) or egg whites (for an instant tightening effect).
- Add honey for hydration (optional).
- Apply mask to face, avoiding eye area.
- Leave mask on for 10-20 minutes.
- Remove by rinsing with warm water. Gently pat dry.
2. Simple salt scrub for beautiful hands
This oil salt scrub works so well because the alkaline pH of the salt allows skin to soften — making it easier to slough off hardened, dead cells.
Here’s the recipe:
- Mix a tablespoon of any kind of oil (I like olive oil, coconut oil or sesame oil) with a teaspoon of salt.
- Before bed, thoroughly rub the mixture over your hands for several minutes.
- Rinse hands thoroughly with warm water.
- Moisturize with a basic cream afterwards (the exfoliation will let your moisturizer work at an even deeper level of the skin).
3. Our favorite homemade moisturizer
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup unflavored coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil or olive oil
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance, if desired
Use a hand mixer to beat together all ingredients until combined. Use as you would any lotion or moisturizer.
More beauty products you can make at home
If you only have a few minutes, try these great no-mix ideas:
- Gently rub half a lemon or lime on your face for a few minutes before rinsing. This can help brighten your facial skin and will eventually lighten dark sun spots. (Note this can sting a little and cause temporary redness.)
- Use plain yogurt as a face mask. The lactic acid, part of the alpha hydroxy family, can help with skin texture and hydration.
- Make toner from cider vinegar diluted with water.
Tips for acne-free skin
Many women who haven’t had a breakout since their teens or early twenties are surprised to suddenly find themselves fighting pimples again as they start perimenopause. Here are a few things to try:
- Try using a “physical” exfoliant (as opposed to a chemical exfoliant) 3-5 times a week. See our exfoliating mask recipe above.
- Calm red, inflamed acne spots by rubbing an ice cube over the area for a few minutes.
- Make a mask by mixing together powdered milk or dry clay and a few drops of tea tree oil (for antiseptic purposes) and some lavender (for calming). Use three times per week, leaving mask on for 10-20 minutes per session.
For pennies, you can keep your skin looking fresh and dewy no matter what your age. We also offer our Radiance Formula supplement for beautiful skin, hair and nails if you want try more.
Last updated on 03/27/2019