Superfood hot chocolate recipe
There’s nothing quite as cozy as curling up on the couch with a piping hot cup of cocoa during a wintery night.
But the toxic ingredients in conventional hot chocolate mix have turned this traditional winter treat into a downright disaster for our health and well-being. Between the artificial flavorings, chemical sweeteners and synthetic preservatives, you’re setting yourself up to suffer from symptoms like headaches, irritability, energy crashes, hormonal imbalance and digestive issues, among others.
So we’ve developed a delicious way to enjoy your favorite cup of chocolatey comfort — without all of the bad stuff. What’s more, we’ve added superfood ingredients like reishi mushrooms and collagen to nourish your brain and body from the inside out.
Cheers to your health!
Healthy hot chocolate recipe
Ingredients: Use organic, local ingredients whenever you can
- 8 oz (1 cup) hot water or alternative milk — flax, coconut, almond or cashew
- 1 ½ Tbsp raw cacao powder (the purest form of chocolate) depending on your taste preference
- 1 Tbsp natural sweetener — local maple syrup or raw honey (though xylitol, stevia or raw sugar work too. Avoid refined sugar.)
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter, MCT oil or coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp reishi mushroom powder
- 1 Tbsp collagen peptides
- 1 tsp maca powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops of peppermint extract
- Coconut whipped cream
- Heat liquid in saucepan until simmering.
- Add additional ingredients over low heat and whisk until smooth and piping hot.
- Remove from heat and add remaining optional ingredients: maca, turmeric, vanilla or peppermint oil.
- Whisk until frothy.
- Pour into your favorite mug and top with coconut whipped cream.
- Enjoy your delicious — and nutritious! — cup of hot chocolate.
Here’s what we love about these superfood ingredients
- MCT Oil and coconut oil: Ever hear the phrase “Eat fat to be thin?” Whoever coined that phrase was likely talking about these super healthy essential fats (“medium chain triglycerides”). MCT oil and coconut oil are easily digested sources of inflammation-reducing antioxidants with major metabolism-boosting effects to help with weight loss.
- Cacao: Cacao powder is similar to cocoa powder (they come from the same plant), but cacao is preferable because it’s far less processed, and so it retains all of the original, rich antioxidants, minerals and fibers.
- Collagen: The vital protein in your muscles, tendons, skin, bones, blood vessels and digestive system that keeps your body flexible, functional and strong. If you want help in reducing wrinkles, cellulite, joint pain or symptoms of leaky gut — drink your collagen!
- Reishi: It’s little wonder that reishi is known as “The King of Mushrooms.” Between the positive effects on your energy levels, immune system, mental clarity and mood, this medicinal mushroom is a true superfood. Our hot chocolate recipe is the perfect way to get your daily dose!
Last updated on 05/20/2019