Menopause & perimenopause
Over the counter menopause remedies - what works and what doesn't
There’s a vast array of choices when it comes to natural menopause remedies. There are also lots of claims and conflicting reports in the news. So how do you know which menopause remedies work?
Start with your symptoms
Menopause symptoms can run the gamut — from hot flashes and fatigue to dry eyes and joint pain.
In order to find the menopause remedy that works best for you, take an inventory of your symptoms first. Fill out our quick profile now.
Over the years of helping women with natural menopause solutions, we’ve found that some remedies are far superior to others.
Your choices for natural menopause relief
Generally speaking, most of the choices for natural menopause relief are based in phytotherapy. Phytotherapy is the use of plants and plant extracts to relieve symptoms and promote health and healing.
The benefit of using herbs for menopause symptoms is that they work with our bodies in what we call an “adaptogenic” capacity, meaning they can adapt to our unique physiological needs. Certain herbs stimulate hormone production; others can mimic the actions of our hormones; and others bind to our hormone receptors. The key benefit with herbs is that your body can access as little or as much as it needs of them. This is very different from prescription medications which are generally formulated to be one-size-fits-all solutions that tend to overwhelm the body’s natural response.
The most effective herbs and plants for menopause have been identified as black cohosh, kudzu, red clover, passionflower, chasteberry, wild yam, soy and others. Soy is one of the most widely used plant-based menopause remedies and can work well for many women. However, it can cause inflammation and lead to uncomfortable digestive symptoms, increased mucous production, shortness of breath, and skin rashes in some women. If you decide to try soy for menopause symptoms, we suggest you monitor your reaction carefully. Ultimately after much evaluation, we’ve found that using a combination of herbs is the best, safest and most effective approach.
Why a multibotanical works better than a single herb
Many menopause remedies contain a single plant source, most often soy or black cohosh. We find that single source products work for some, but not most women. And they generally work for only one or two mild symptoms, rather than multiple or severe symptoms. Unfortunately the majority of women suffer from many symptoms, and they’re not mild! For those women, a multibotanical is much more effective than a single herb for two reasons:
- First, we each have different physiology so what works for one woman may not work for another. For example, black cohosh works well for some women’s hot flashes, but others feel no benefit at all. If you try an herbal product that includes black cohosh and red clover and kudzu, you’re much more likely to get results.
- And second, perimenopause and menopause do not generally cause a single symptom — there are usually multiple symptoms, including fatigue, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings, irritability and more. A product with more than one herb offers the variety necessary to address multiple symptoms at once.
A solution with room to grow
We’ve studied the biology of menopause and carefully selected the herbs, vitamins and minerals we know can provide real relief. Our Hormonal Health Package offers a three-pronged approach that meets you wherever you are on the symptom spectrum:
1. Start with Herbal Equilibrium, our exclusive multibotanical that targets the top 10 symptoms of menopause. For women with moderate-severe symptoms, we bundle Herbal Equilibrium with a medical-grade multivitamin for maximum symptom relief.
2. Make a few hormone-healthy changes in your diet with our delicious and healthy food plan and recipes. Small and incremental changes are the easiest to adopt long-term.
3. Think about making lifestyle shifts that include getting more sleep, relaxation, and finding fulfilling exercise.
Our approach is different from anything you’ll find on a store shelf because we’re always ready to help you with the next step. Some women feel so much better taking Herbal Equilibrium and our multivitamin-mineral complex. Others want to make changes in how they eat and live. With our Health Package, you can decide what you need when, and find support at every turn.
Our team of knowledgeable women here in Maine — all of whom are experienced and good listeners too — can help you adapt our solution to your unique needs. Whatever you decide, know that you are in good hands with Women's Health Network. Order online or give us a call 1-800-798-7902 — whatever you prefer.
Last Modified Date: 01/23/2013